Implementing the Program
The Prudential Spirit of Community Awards can be implemented by schools and by these officially designated local organizations:
- Girl Scout councils
- County 4-H organizations
- American Red Cross chapters
- Affiliates of HandsOn Network
If you represent a school or one of the officially designated local organizations, here's what to do:
- Alert interested young people in your school or organization to this opportunity.
- Make an announcement, such as: "The search is on to find our top youth volunteer. If selected, you could receive $1,000, an impressive silver medallion, and a trip to Washington, D.C., next May. If you feel you've made a positive difference through a volunteer activity during the past year, visit spirit.prudential.com to apply."
- Post a program poster in a prominent location. To obtain posters, call 1-877-525-8491 toll-free.
- Include information in your calendar or newsletter and on your website.
- Ask teachers, activity advisers, counselors, and local youth leaders to encourage eligible students to apply.
- Promote the program at assemblies, pep rallies, parent and staff meetings, and organization events.
- Remind students of the deadline through periodic announcements.
- Distribute a copy of the application instruction sheet to each interested student.
- Review completed applications online between November 5 to 11, 2014.
- Select one middle level Local Honoree, and, if desired, as many as two "runners up" for every 1,000 young people in grades 5-8 in your school or local organization and/or one high school Local Honoree and up to two "runners up" for every 1,000 young people in grades 9-12 (see Selecting Honorees).
- Certify your designated Local Honoree(s) online and nominate him/her/them for state-level judging by 11:59 p.m. CST on Tuesday, November 11.
- Announce and recognize your Local Honoree(s) and runners-up (see Recognizing Honorees).
- You will be notified of the judging results by mail in mid-February. State Honorees and Distinguished Finalists will be posted at spirit.prudential.com and www.nassp.org/spirit.
Please note that after selecting Leave spirit.prudential.com, you will leave this website to view content on another website.